Decorating Your Living Room in Victorian Style
The living room is the ceremonial as well as a busy room or a living space where the family members put all the decorating items to give it a complete looks and finishes. The family members spend most of the time here with their daily entertainment facilities included. There are lots of traditional old styles nicely blended in the modern living rooms. One such style is the traditional Victorian style which is very dazzling in everybody’s eyes with the perfect color contrasts and classic handicraft items on the walls.
Here are some tips on how to decorate your living room in the Victorian style:
- The walls form the integral part of the living rooms and it really becomes very important to use the dark and bright tones of colors. Try to mix up the colors in the rooms and try to select hues. The most favorite Victorian colors are mauve, purple, bottle-green and red, and a single room could use most or all of these colors.
- If you are choosing the seating pieces then chose upholstered in velvet, brocade, wood-embroidered fabrics, and add toss pillows. Try to use the exposed wood on the upholstered furnishings, such as carved feet and legs, arm rests, and wood trim along the upper backs of chairs and sofas.
- There are lots of occasional tables that can be used such as carved bamboo, faux bamboo, marble-topped, spindled near the seating. Try to set traditional-style lamps, especially ceramic ginger-jar types, atop the tables, with crocheted doilies underneath.
- You should drape the windows with beautiful lacy curtains which can include swags, valances and tiebacks. To give it a more breathtaking look try to trim the draperies along with the pillows and upholstery in the room with borders, decorations, cords and plaits.
- The vintage accessories are also must if you are decorating in the complete Victorian style. So hang the ancestral or old paintings or portraits, botanical pictures or mirrors on the walls. The old family photos, Victorian style plates or platters, candle sconces in the oval gold polished or carved wood frames should be hung on the walls.
- The wallpapers or wallpaper borders should be used to adorn the rooms. You can use the tall baseboard moldings and stacked crown moldings. The other things that hold beauty are a wallpaper border with a scroll, casing or faux-relief pattern near the crown molding.
- The antique clocks in the wooden case can be very attractive in the living room. You can also decorate your living room with a tiered shelf and a fern stand. The tabletops can be decorated with period-style collectibles such as silver or brass candleholders, china dishes and glass paperweights.
- The flooring should be very comfortable with the soft and easy patterned area rugs spread on the whole floor from wall to wall. The patterned are rugs can be with a leaf or scroll design or an Oriental pattern.
Thus with these useful and exciting tips you can nicely decorate your home in the traditional Victorian style.